Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Bells are Ringing with pipe chimes Day 1

I love to make music with children.  Singing is only part of the fun.  With Christmas Bells are Ringing there are lots of fun things to do.  You can just play jingle bells while singing the song.

But I favor the pipe chimes that you can make with plumbing pipes.  With a simple song like this one, you can divide the children into 3 groups and let them play chords.  Instructions for making the chimes are at this site:  http://www.sugardoodle.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3287&Itemid=5

Our Primary has one set of the chimes.  I had my husband help me make a second set.  That still wasn't enough chimes for our kids to all get to play but there are two other women in the ward who own sets so I borrowed.  If you are going to make chimes, make enough so all the kids can play.

*********************************************************************************

I like to teach about music while I am teaching the songs.  So on the first day of this song we do two different activities.

1.  Activity 1 = Learn the song.  It's easy so you can just teach it by rote.  Sing a line and have kids repeat, sing next line, they repeat, etc.  Then sing 2 lines for them and have them repeat.  Follow this pattern until they have learned the entire song.

2.  Activity 2 = learn to play the pipe chimes.  For this song you will use the pipe to play musical chords.  You need the following three chords:

            G chord = G  B  D
            D7 chord = D F# A C
            C chord = C E G

Divide the kids into 3 groups.  Pass out the chimes to each group.  I like to put the G chord in the front right as I am facing the children.  The D7 chord goes to the kids on the left front rows.  And then the C chord chimes go to kids sitting along the back.

I like to prepare the chimes ahead by putting them into the proper groups.  Then I can ask the teachers to help pass them out.  Each child will need a mallet.  I made my own mallets by using 1/4" dowels and wooden beads that I purchased at Michaels.  Some people just purchase large nails and that works, too.  The wooden mallets produce a softer sound than the nails but both are acceptable.

Teach the children to hold the chime by the string and to hold it close to the chime so that it doesn't swing wildly when they hit it with the mallet.  Practice hitting the chime ONE TIME and stopping.  This will sound pretty bad but by doing everyone at once they can all practice at the same time.  It is important that they play all together.  I hold up my hand with my thumb over my fingers and then on the beat I flick open my fingers. That is their clue to play.

Now practice having the children play with the correct hand signals.  
             My right hand signals the G chord.
             My left hand signals the C7 chord.  
             Both hands at the same time signal the C chord to play.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE:  Our little Sunbeams need help.  We have teachers and/or leaders sit with them and help. The adult may hold the chime and let the child then tap it.  These little ones really want to be a part of this activity

You have now taught the song and also how to play the chimes.  That is enough for one day. On the next Sunday you'll put them both together.




No comments:

Post a Comment