Saturday, December 28, 2013

Primary Jeopardy

Another favorite game to play with my Primary is Jeopardy.  I use this game to assess what the children know about the songs we have learned.  Even though children can sing a song, they don't necessarily know what the song means and how to apply that knowledge to their life.  So we play a game to find out!

Here is the game board (picture the chalkboard):
Those individual pockets are made to hold 3x5 index cards with the questions on them.


The categories are generic enough that you can do anything with them or make up your own categories to suit whatever goals you may have for your Primary.

Rhythm - I put on it the name of a song and clap that song to the child whose turn it is.  They have to name it.  Or sometimes I do it backwards.  I name the song and the child claps it.

Melody - I hum the melody.  The child names the song.  We accept words as well as titles as a correct answer.

Lyrics defined - I choose a word or phrase from a song.  The child has to tell what it means.  Example:  If the Savior Stood Beside Me - what does the word "nigh" mean?

What comes next? - I sing a phrase from a song.  The child sings what comes after that phrase.

Practical Application - I ask the child to apply a principle from a song to their own life.  Example:  If the song was I am a Child of God I might ask "What do you do on a daily basis that shows me that you know you are a child of God?"  Answer could be "I say my prayers."  "I am nice to other people.", etc.

As always with a game, we have two teams.  I always go back and forth so each team has an equal number of turns.  On this game, we draw names to decide whose turn it is.  I just print out a list of the children's names and put them in two boxes - one for each team.


No comments:

Post a Comment