Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Organizing a year of music for Primary

As a new year begins in Primary, I like to look through the new outline for sharing time and see first what it asks me to do.

A.  Obviously, there are the monthly songs that we will learn and use in our sacrament meeting presentation.
B.  There are suggestions for songs to be sung as a part of Sharing Time.  Some of those songs the children will know.  Others will be new to them.  It's not very effective to sing something the kids don't know so I like to see how I might be able to help the presidency with that.  
C.  I categorize those songs into these categories:
             1.  The kids already know it.
             2.  A DVD of that song is available (YouTube or me) and could be shown since the kids don't know it.
             3.  The song could be used as the reverence song for the month and the kids will learn it that way.
             4.  A child could be asked to sing this as a solo for sharing time.
             5.  I can teach the song and use it for Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day.

Here is my outline that I prepared for this year.  Wherever it says "Week 1, Week 2, etc" the songs listed are those suggested in the 2014 Outline for Sharing Time.  You can see how I made decisions about how to help with these "Sharing Time" songs by looking through my outline.  I am very happy to help with this because music is such a powerful tool in both teaching the Gospel and helping our children feel the Spirit.  The more the children sing, all the better!

This is just where I start my planning each year.  My Sunday lessons plans are, of course, much more detailed.  I'll post some samples of those another time.

JANUARY  Heavenly Father Prepared a Way for Me to Return to His Presence                       Song: “He Sent His  Son”  (CS, 34–35)

Week 1: “I Am a Child of God” (CS, 2–3).  Kids know this song.
                “I Know My Father Lives” (CS, 5).  Make this the Reverence Song for the month
Week 2:  “I Lived in Heaven” (CS, 4).  You Tube Video burned to DVD
Week 3:  “I’m Trying to Be like Jesus” (CS, 78–79)  Kids know this song.  I will review it with them before this week.
Week 4:

FEBRUARY  Heavenly Father Has a Plan for His Children
Song: “I Will Follow God’s Plan” (CS, 164–65)

Week 1:  “I Will Follow God’s Plan” (CS, 164–65).  Song for the month  - Will start learning during singing time today. 
Week 2:  “My Heavenly Father Loves Me” (CS, 228–29).  Kids know from 2013 program 
Week 3: “The Lord Gave Me a Temple”  (CS, 153)   Make this the Reverence Song for the month
Week 4:

MARCH   Jesus Christ is Our Savior
Song: “I Stand All  Amazed” (Hymns, no. 193)

Week 1:
Week 2:
Week 3: “Jesus Has Risen” (CS, 70).  Make "Jesus Has Risen" the reverence song for the month.  Only one of these songs is necessary. Then add flute and bells and do this one for Easter Sunday which is April 20.   
Week 4:

APRIL  The Family Is Central to God’s Plan
Song: “The Family Is of God”  (pages 28–29 in this outline)
Easter Song:  Jesus Has Risen CS 70

Week 1:  “Families Can Be Together Forever” (CS, 188).  Kids know from 2013 program
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:  “A Happy Family” (CS, 198)  Sing during singing time early this month


MAY   Families Are Blessed When They Follow the Prophet                                                         
Song: “Follow the Prophet”  (CS 110-111)   
Mother's Day Song:  Love Is Spoken Here    CS 190-191
                                                                   
Week 1: 
Week 2: “Follow the Prophet” (CS, 110–11)  Song for the month
Week 3:  “Quickly I’ll Obey” (CS, 197),  (when the prophet tells me)  Sing earlier in the month the regular way so the kids know it.
Week 4:

JUNE  Priesthood Ordinances and Temple Work Bless My Family
Song: “I Love to See the Temple”  (CS 95)
Father's Day Song - Sally DeFord's I Knew My Father Knew (skip verse 2)

Week 1:  “Love Is Spoken Here” (CS, 190–191)  Sing for Mother's day this year Jr and Sr together 
Week 2:  “I Love to See the Temple” (CS, 95) 
Week 3:  “I Love to See the Temple” (CS, 95) verse 1
Week 4:   “Family History—I Am Doing It”  (CS, 94).   A child could sing this one as a solo.

  
JULY  We Become Members of the Church through Baptism and Confirmation
Song: “Baptism”  (CS, 100–101)

Week 1:
Week 2:
Week 3:  “The Holy Ghost” (CS, 105)  Make this the Reverence Song for the month 
Week 4:

AUGUST   Participating in Wholesome Activities Will Strengthen My Family                                 
Song: “Seek the Lord Early”  (CS, 108)

Week 1:   “Family Prayer”  (CS, 189).  Reverence Song for this month. 
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4: 

SEPTEMBER   Living the Gospel Blesses My Family     
                                                                       
Week 1:  “Thanks to Our Father” (CS, 20)   Reverence Song for this month
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:  “I  Want to Live the Gospel” (CS, 148).  Make DVD of this song with artwork of the kids in our Primary showing some way that living the Gospel blesses their family.  Add words to DVD so it can be a sing-a-long.


OCTOBER   “The Family: A Proclamation to the  World” Came from God to Help My Family

Week 1:
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:

NOVEMBER  Living the Teachings of Jesus Christ Strengthens Me and My Family

Week 1:
Week 2:
Week 3:  “Repentance”  (CS, 98)    Solo by one of our kids 
Week 4:  “Help Me, Dear  Father” (CS, 99).  Reverence song for the month

  
DECEMBER  We Remember and Worship Our Savior, Jesus Christ

Week 1:
Week 2:
Week 3:  “Stars Were Gleaming” (CS,37)  Teach this as one of our Christmas songs this year. Stars were Gleaming will have a bell descant - use xylophone bells.   Repeat our String Ensemble/Primary song Picture a Christmas again.  So we are singing both songs in sacrament mtg.
Week 4:  “I Wonder When He Comes Again”  (CS, 82)  Kids know this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment